ZZ old pages

Olton Friary

St. Bernards Rd, Solihull, West Midlands, B92 7BL.

Olton Friary

Built in 1873 as St Bernard’s Catholic Seminary by Bishop William Bernard Ullathorne, the first Catholic bishop of Birmingham, it closed in 1889 when the bishop’s successor moved the seminary to Oscott. The building was purchased by the Capuchin Friars and became the Franciscan Monastery of the Immaculate Conception. The church itself was designed by Bernard Cox and opened in 1929. The friars left on 10th January 1981 and the Sacred Heart Fathers and Brothers of Bétharram took over the running of the parish.